Whether your project is a whole-house renovation, major home remodel or new ground-up custom home our process remains the same. STUDIO 818’s Design + Build Management framework covers much more than interior design, finishes and other ‘pretty stuff.’
Much of the value the STUDIO 818 team provides you comes from Pre-Construction Planning, comprehensive Master-Planning, and our central position as the Owner’s Project Manager throughout your project. We are your guide and advocate from Pre-Planning to your fully-furnished move-in day.
Here’s a brief overview of our process.
During this free virtual meeting we discuss your goals with the proposed project, general design aesthetic, timelines, and more.
We’ll provide you an initial analysis of your project including how your targeted investment aligns with the initial project scope. We’ll also discuss the best options on how to proceed with your project.
STUDIO 818’s exclusive Project Assessment process is invaluable for aligning your project scope with the overall investment for your custom home.
This detailed feasibility study gives you clarity and understanding of exactly what your project will require before Pre-Planning begins.
The Project Assessment report provides three key pieces of information that will help you make educated decisions on your project:
1 – Detailed all-inclusive budget projections for every aspect of your project
2 – Estimated timeline for the project completion
3 – The projected valuation of your property after completing the proposed scope of work
Your Project Assessment report gives you all the practical and financial “knobs and dials” needed to make accurate decisions with confidence. If it becomes necessary to re-align the initial scope of work and targeted overall investment we are able to discuss practical, tangible options to fine tune your project by adjusting the balance between quality, pricing & timelines.
This step is key to helping you avoid frustration & disappointment as the project proceeds. In Pre-Planning we develop the conceptual designs necessary to further refine the balance between quality, pricing & timelines on your custom home project.
This includes Programming (information gathering), Initial Conceptual Design and Final Conceptual Design. In these phases we pre-plan every aspect of your project to maximize efficiency in the Master Planning and construction phases.
There’s a substantial amount of work that is completed in Pre-Planning, but some of the highlights are:
– Clarify design preferences though our exclusive Rapid Fire exercise
– Develop & finalize your space plan and conceptual exterior elevations
– Confirm design direction and level of finish quality with mood & concept boards
– Define and lock in the final project scope and overall targeted budget
Only once we have reached this point of our relationship do we sign into full contract on the remainder of the project.
Project Master Planning
After the Pre-Planning phase we head into Master Planning. This is where the real magic takes place.
There are multiple steps and hundreds of hours of work that go into the Master Planning phase. We’ll discuss this in more detail on your free Discovery Consultation but for now here are some of the high-points:
– Interactive 3D & virtual reality modeling for spatial study
– Physical samples of finishes to touch & feel
– Photorealistic rendered views with actual finishes & fixtures
– Finish plan with approved finishes, fixtures & equipment
– Monitor and manage the overall budget projections relative to the targeted overall investment
– Coordinate with architect and/or engineers to create the permit plan set
– Pre-screen General Contractors (GC)
– Meet with GC on-site for bid-walks
– Place, manage & track all finish, fixture & equipment (FF&E) orders including inspection, damage claims & returns
Construction Administration begins with managing the contractor selection process. Once actual construction begins we have regular on-site meetings with contractors to review work progress relative to plans. These visits allow us to proactively identify potential issues with construction work and creatively solve problems as they arise.
As the project progresses there are invariably questions that the GC and subcontractors will have. We provide quick responses to these requests for information. This ongoing communication is critical for work to proceed efficiently.
In addition to the above, here are some other examples of how STUDIO 818 stands in the gap as your advocate throughout the build process with our Construction Administration:
– Document all communications with contractors in our project management dashboard, available via your client portal
– Provide you project update reports at a minimum of every other week during construction
– Review invoices from General Contractor and verify invoiced amounts are in alignment with progress of work or unexpected site conditions
– Obtain partial lien releases from the contractors to avoid unwarranted mechanics liens from being placed on the property
– Punch list management & oversight
– Perform Project close-out procedures including handing off specifications, owner’s manuals, as-built drawings, warranty information
– Coordinate and manage final “construction” cleaning
From concept to move-in day, STUDIO 818 has you covered
Our Design + Build Management framework guides and protects you from concept to completion. With STUDIO 818 leading your project every detail is pre-planned to control project costs and increase efficiency before the first hammer swings. When construction begins we stand in the gap for you handling all the challenges that arise while protecting you, your design and your budget.
Let’s take the first step and schedule a time to meet and discuss your project.